What should I do if any information I provided in my application has changed?

You must report any changes that affect the accuracy of the financial need and eligibility information in your student assistance application. Changes include but are not limited to:

  • Any new financial resources not listed in your application.
  • Any changes to the financial resources listed on your application.
  • Income, assets or investments of your parents/step-parents/sponsor/legal guardian.
  • Your program of study or study period dates.
  • Your marital status before the first day of classes.
  • Your living situation before the first day of classes (such as whether you are living in a home owned or rented by your parents, or living away from your parents' home).
  • The birth or adoption of a child

Have you changed your name?

Please submit the following documentation:

  • A copy of your Social Insurance Number card/letter or a copy of an official Government of Canada document that includes your Social Insurance Number;
  • A copy of government-issued identification clearly indicating your name, date of birth and gender.

Note: StudentAid BC checks the validity of your identification each time you apply; therefore, don’t forget to document your change of name with Service Canada at: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml.

How do I report changes to information originally provided in my application?


  1. 1 Complete the appropriate form. (There are different forms for full-time and part-time studies).
  2. 2 Submit the form to StudentAid BC by:
    • Mail
      Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills
      StudentAid BC
      PO Box 9173
      Stn Prov Govt
      Victoria BC V8W 9H7
    • Toll-free in Canada and the US
    • Email

All information is subject to verification. Keep all receipts and supporting documentation related to your changed circumstances, as these may be required.

If you fail to report changes to your application information, you may become ineligible for funding through StudentAid BC.

The completed reassessment form and supporting documentation must be received by the StudentAid BC office no later than six weeks before your studies end. Funding cannot be issued after your studies end.

Full-time students

Download Form

Part-time students

Download Form

What if I transfer schools?


Two-week time limit for transfers
You may do a transfer if the length of time between leaving one school and starting your new school is two weeks or less; otherwise you are considered withdrawn from your previous school and you will have to complete a new StudentAid BC application.

Transferring before you get funding
If you have applied for, but have not yet received, StudentAid BC funding at the time you transfer schools, complete an Appendix 7: Request for reassessment and submit it to StudentAid BC for processing.

Transferring after you get funding

  1. 1 If you have already received your StudentAid BC funding when you change schools, complete Appendix 5.
  2. 2 Submit the form to StudentAid BC.

You, your old (original) school and your new school are all required to fill out separate sections of the Appendix 5 form, so you will need to contact the financial aid offices or school officials at both schools (the school you are transferring from and the school you are transferring to).

Your completed form must be received by StudentAid BC no later than six weeks before your study period ends.

Download Form

What if I need to take a temporary leave from school for medical or parental reasons?

StudentAid BC offers a six-month medical or parental leave to borrowers who need to take a temporary leave from school for medical reasons, including mental health reasons, or following the birth or adoption of a child.

During approved medical or parental leave, you will not be required to repay your federal or BC student loans. The medical or parental leave starts on the day after you withdrew from studies. If needed, you can extend your medical or parental leave for another six months, up to a maximum of 18 consecutive months.

There is no lifetime limit on medical and parental leave. If you return to school and experience another medical problem or welcome another child, you can reapply for new medical or parental leave for six months up to a maximum of another 18 months.

To learn more about the eligibility requirements and to access the application for medical or parental leave, please visit the Canada Student Financial Assistance Program page.

Note: The time you take on medical or parental leave does not count toward the lifetime maximum weeks of StudentAid BC financial assistance.