Rehabilitation after default

If you missed payments on your B.C. student loans, it means that you are in default.

You will need to ask for rehabilitation before you can apply for more funding or interest-free status from StudentAid BC. If approved for rehabilitation, your loans will go back into good standing (not restricted, not in default/delinquent/bankruptcy, no provincial or federal overaward restrictions) with Canada-British Columbia integrated student loans and/or other BC and Canada student loans (risk-sharing or guaranteed), and you can apply for more financial aid.

Am I eligible for rehabilitation?

If you defaulted on guaranteed or direct lend B.C. student loans, you must:

  • Not be in default under the Canada student loan program.
  • Make payments to Revenue Services of British Columbia:
    • for at least six consecutive months;
    • in a lump sum totaling six monthly payments; or
    • in full.
  • Pay all outstanding interest, NSF charges and any additional fees associated with the defaulted B.C. student loan.

If your B.C. student loan has been written off or extinguished as a bad debt, you must submit a rehabilitation after default application to StudentAid BC to be eligible for more financial assistance.

To make arrangements to repay a guaranteed or direct lend B.C. student loan in default, contact:

Revenue Services of British Columbia
PO Box 9483
Victoria, BC V8W 9W6
P: 1-866-345-3930

If you have defaulted on risk-sharing B.C. student loans, please view the information on missing loan payments.

How do I apply for rehabilitation after default?


  1. 1 Complete the application form.
  2. 2 Your application must include the following:
    • A letter from the registrar of your school, if you are now or will be a full-time post-secondary student in the near future, confirming your registration.
  3. 3 Submit your application to StudentAid BC.

Rehabilitation after default application and instructions

PDF - 113.24 KB