How to apply as a full-time student
Below are the steps in applying for B.C. and Canada student loans if you are a full-time student.
- 1 Create a StudentAid BC Account using the BC Services Card app as your digital ID. All applicants need to set up the BC Services Card app to access the student loan application via the StudentAid BC Dashboard. Go to the StudentAid BC Login page and click “Login with the BC Services Card app” and it will guide you through the process.
- 2 Choose the post-secondary school you want to attend and determine the study period (registration period) for which you need funding.
- 3 Check to make sure your school is designated for StudentAid BC funding.
- 4 Figure out how much money you need to attend school:
- 5 Apply online through the StudentAid BC Dashboard. Log in with the BC Services Card app, complete and submit the online StudentAid BC application. Prior to submitting your application, you will be asked to read the terms and conditions of the StudentAid BC Declaration and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Consent for income verification then tick the consent boxes.
You can check your application status from your dashboard. StudentAid BC will process your application within six weeks and notify you of the outcome on your dashboard account.
The latest you can apply for full-time student loans is 6 weeks before your study program ends as long you have provided all the required documentation.
The earliest you can apply for full-time student loans is when applications for the upcoming program year are made available to the public, usually in early June .
You do not have to be accepted into your study program before applying for student assistance, but you will not receive any money until your school confirms you are enrolled in full-time studies and your study period has begun.
What happens after I submit an application?
After you submit your application for funding, it is assessed. StudentAid BC assesses your financial need considering allowable costs and resources and determines whether or not you will receive funding.
You will receive a notification of assessment that tells you how much funding you will get. If you applied for assistance for full-time studies you can also check the status of your application online.
The receive your funding section describes the steps you need to take to use your funding to pay for school.
If you do not receive funding, you can appeal your assessment.