Your school eligibility

The first thing you will need to do is check your school designation under StudentAid BC. To receive funding, your school must be deemed eligible. In addition, there is special information if you are attending two schools, if you attend a private institution, or if you are going to school outside of B.C.

Here are some important things to consider before beginning your studies at a private post-secondary school in B.C.

  • Is your school approved?
    Private post-secondary schools in British Columbia are regulated to ensure that standards of integrity and educational competence are met by private institutions offering post-secondary education in B.C.
  • Career training schools
    You can only receive StudentAid BC funding if the private post-secondary school holds a Designated Institution Certificate from the Private Training Institutions Branch, Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training, and has been designated by StudentAid BC.
  • Degree granting schools
    Private schools that want to award degrees in B.C. must be approved through the Degree Quality Assessment Board. You can only receive StudentAid BC funding if the private degree-granting school is approved and has been designated by StudentAid BC.
  • Signing an enrolment contract
    Once you have been accepted by a B.C. private post-secondary school that holds a Designated Institution Certificate, you must sign an enrolment contract. Enrolment at an accredited school designated by StudentAid BC requires that you complete this contract.

    The enrolment contract should contain the following information:
    • Name and address of the school.
    • Name of your course or study program.
    • Start date, end date and duration of the course.
    • Cost of the course.
    • Date that the contract is entered into.
    • Name, mailing address and signature of the student or guardian.
    • Signature of the school official.
    • A tuition payment schedule if you are paying by instalments.
    • The school's tuition refund policy.

Attending more than one post-secondary school at the same time is called "split enrolment." In some cases, you can receive StudentAid BC funding for courses taken at the second school.

Before registering at your second school, check with the financial aid office at your "home" school about student assistance options. The home school is the one that will issue your credential at graduation time.

You may be eligible for funding if courses at the second school are:

  • Offered with the same start and end date as those taken at the home school.
  • An essential element of your study program.
  • Counting for credit towards your certificate, diploma or degree at your home school.
  • Either not offered by your home school or are full.

Your second school must be a designated school under StudentAid BC.

Split enrolments involving private vocational/trade schools are not permitted.

Here are some important things to consider before you enrol in a post-secondary school outside of British Columbia or Canada.

  • Is your school designated for StudentAid BC funding?
  • Are you studying outside Canada? If so, you may need a power of attorney.

Note: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, for 2020/21, all online blended and distance learning programs approved by B.C.’s Degree Quality Assessment Board (DQAB) or by B.C.’s Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB), or approved and offered by B.C. public post-secondary institutions will be eligible for StudentAid BC funding.

Online, blended and distance learning programs offered by an institution outside of B.C. are eligible for StudentAid BC funding if one of the following is true:

  • the program with the same study period length is fully offered on site (at the institution itself).
  • students will earn the same number of academic credits in the same time period as students enrolled in similar programs eligible for StudentAid BC funding and offered on site at the same institution.
  • students will earn academic credits for 100 percent of an undergraduate program if the program is recognized as equivalent at another designated institution listed in the B.C. Transfer Guide or other acceptable joint agreements from other jurisdictions.
  • All programs must meet all other required StudentAid BC program eligibility criteria.

My program is not already approved

If the program is not already approved for StudentAid BC funding, a message will be posted to your dashboard for you to inform your school that they need to download a Confirmation of StudentAid BC Distance Education Eligibility form. Your school will need to complete this form before your B.C. student loan application is processed.

This must be completed by the financial aid officer at your school and returned to StudentAid BC for you to be considered for SABC funding.

Contact Us
Toll-free Canada/US
Outside North America