How to apply as a part-time student


Below are the steps in applying for B.C. and Canada student loans as a part-time student.

  1. 1 Create a StudentAid BC Account using the BC Services Card app as your digital ID. All applicants need to set up the BC Services Card app to access the student loan application via the StudentAid BC Dashboard. Go to the StudentAid BC Login page and click “Login with the BC Services Card app” and it will guide you through the process.
  2. 2 Enrol in the designated post-secondary school you want to attend.
  3. 3 Fill in a part-time studies application available from the StudentAid BC website for the federal financial assistance programs.
  4. 4 Take your application to the financial aid office at your school. Your school will fill out the study information section and forward the application to StudentAid BC and they will also verify your identity.

Download Form

For classes starting between
Aug 1st, 2023 and July 31, 2024

Download Form

For classes starting between
Aug 1st, 2022 and July 31, 2023

B.C. residency requirement

To receive part-time student financial assistance, you must be a resident of B.C. You are a resident of B.C. if:

  • B.C. is the province where you last lived for 12 continuous months, as of your study start date, not including months of full-time post-secondary study; or
  • you are an independent permanent resident, or designated as a protected person, living in B.C at the time of application and will spend the study period in B.C but have not lived in any one province for at least 12 continuous months. For example, if an independent student arrived in Canada as a permanent resident less than 12 months before the start date of classes, and intends to study in B.C., the student would be considered a resident of B.C. for student financial assistance purposes.

Students who are incarcerated or have an outstanding warrant for arrest are not eligible for funding.

Family income

To be eligible for federal part-time grants and loans, your total family income for the program year must be below the amounts shown on the following table:

Family Income Eligibility Thresholds for the 2023/24 Program Year

Family size Canada Student Loan for Part-Time Students (CSL-PT)
Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Students with Disabilities (CSG-D)
Gross Annual Family Income Threshold for CSL-PT and CSG-D
Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Studies (CSG-PT)
Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Students with Dependants (CSG-PTDEP)
B.C. Access Grant for Part-Time Studies (BCAG-PT)
Gross Annual Family Income Eligibility for Maximum CSG-PT, CSG-PTDEP, and BCAG-PT
1 $72,644 $35,429
2 $101,601 $50,104
3 $121,213 $61,365
4 $133,232 $70,859
5 $144,350 $79,222
6 $154,917 $86,784
7+ $164,033 $93,737

Application deadlines

The latest you can apply for part-time student loans is 6 weeks before your study period ends.

The earliest you can apply for part-time student loans is when applications for the upcoming program year are made available to the public, usually in June. You must be accepted and enrolled into your study program before applying for part-time assistance.

The part-time loan program does not have a limit on the maximum number of weeks for assistance. Funding can continue over an extended period. However, your outstanding principal and any accrued interest, if applicable, for all part-time Canada student loans cannot exceed $10,000 at any given time. Students who reach the $10,000 part-time loan limit remain eligible to receive Canada Student Grants.

What happens after I submit an application?

After you submit your application for funding, it is assessed. StudentAid BC assesses your financial need considering allowable costs and resources and determines whether or not you will receive funding.

You will receive a notification of assessment that tells you how much funding you are eligible to receive.

The receive your funding section describes the steps you need to take once you receive your Notification of Assessment. Please read the additional instructions located in the Form Library.

If you do not receive funding, you can appeal your assessment .