Repayment assistance plan for borrowers with a permanent disability

The Repayment Assistance Plan for borrowers with a permanent disability (RAP-PD) helps you manage your Canada Student Loan and B.C. Student Loan debt by reducing your monthly payment and allowing you to pay back what you can reasonably afford.

Am I eligible?

Canada RAP-PD and B.C. RAP-PD have the same eligibility requirements. You may be eligible for Canada and B.C. RAP-PD if you:

  • have a Canada-B.C. integrated student loan;
  • are a resident of Canada;
  • have a permanent disability; and
  • meet the income threshold set for the program

How do I apply?

You can apply for both Canada RAP and B.C. RAP on one application form. For information on how to apply, visit the National Student Loans Service Centre website or call 1-888-815-4514.

Note: Effective August 1, 2020, StudentAid BC will make it easier for students with permanent disabilities to access further funding to return to school by removing restrictions on borrowers who have used RAP for Borrowers with a Permanent Disability (RAP-PD).

About the program

BC Repayment Assistance Plan for Borrowers with Permanent Disabilities (BC RAP-PD)

The British Columbia Repayment Assistance Plan ("BC RAP-PD") is available to British Columbia student loan borrowers who have a Canada-BC Integrated Student Loan (see Notes 1 and 3) and have a permanent disability. The BC RAP program helps borrowers manage the BC student loan portion of their integrated loan by allowing them to pay back what they can reasonably afford.

BC RAP-PD is administered by the Government of Canada and the National Student Loans Service Centre ("NSLSC"), on behalf of and under the direction of the Government of British Columbia.

The terms of the BC RAP-PD are the same as the terms of the Canada Repayment Assistance Plan ("Canada RAP-PD"), applied with any necessary changes for the purpose of making those terms applicable to the BC student loan portion of an integrated loan.

The terms of the Canada RAP-PD are described in the applicable provisions of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, as amended (the "Federal Act") and the Canada Student Financial Student Assistance Regulations, as amended (the "Federal Regulations") (see Note 2).


  1. If you received your B.C. student loan on or after August 1, 2000 - whether you have a Canada student loan or do not - your loan is considered an integrated loan. If you received your B.C. student loan before August 1, 2000, you must contact your financial institution for information on any repayment assistance that may be available through your financial institution.
  2. The terms of the Canada RAP-PD include Part V of the Federal Regulations (for matters such as eligibility for repayment assistance, calculation of the affordable payment, reconsideration of a borrower's application) and section 17.1 of the Federal Act and section 15(4) of the Federal Regulations (for denial and termination of repayment assistance). For more information on the Canada RAP terms, please visit the Justice Laws website.
  3. BC RAP-PD is subject to applicable BC laws.

Where to get an application
Borrowers must apply for BC RAP-PD. Borrowers only need to fill out one application form to apply for both the Canada and BC RAP-PD programs. Borrowers can obtain a joint Canada/BC RAP-PD application form online.

When to submit applications
Borrowers must reapply for BC RAP-PD once every 6 months until they are no longer eligible or their loan is paid in full.