Section 3 - Personal Information

Loan application instructions for the 2016/2017 program year (for classes starting between Aug 1 2016 and July 31 2017)

Q29. Are you a student with a permanent disability that affects your studies on a daily basis?

A permanent disability refers to a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary level or the labour force and is expected to remain with the person for the person’s expected natural life.

If you answer ‘yes’ to this question, you must complete a Permanent Disability Programs application to document your permanent disability, and have your permanent disability status approved by StudentAid BC. You are only required to submit your medical documentation once unless otherwise requested.

Note: Students with permanent disabilities may qualify for other programs. Contact the Disability Services Coordinator or financial aid office at your school, or visit or the National Student Loans Service Centre.

Q30. Have you ever declared bankruptcy that included student financial assistance? If YES, read the “help” before answering.

  1. If you had outstanding student loans at the time you declared bankruptcy, you must answer ‘YES’ to this question unless any of the following conditions apply:
    • When you filed your Bankruptcy Related Event (BRE) it had already been seven years from your last period of studies end date (PSED) and since that time three years have elapsed;
    • Your BRE was filed while you were a full-time student. Since then, you have remained a full-time student over consecutive terms and have not switched fields of studies (you may be eligible for up to three academic years);
    • You have received clearance in writing from CSLP to have your bankruptcy restrictions removed for your eligibility for student loans through StudentAid BC;
    • CSLP has sent you a bankruptcy clearance letter.

If one of the above conditions apply, you may answer “NO” to this question. Keep documentation of your clearance through CSLP.

  1. If you did not have student loans at the time you declared bankruptcy, and are discharged from that bankruptcy, answer “NO” to this question.
    • If you or your spouse are currently in an undischarged bankruptcy, you must have your trustee agree that any funds you may be eligible to receive are not seized to pay for debts involved in your bankruptcy.

Student loan borrowers who have undergone a BRE and who do not meet any of the criteria in #1 above, must pay their student loans in full before being eligible for more student loans.

Q31. Will you have a full-time job during your study period?

Full-time work is considered to be 32 hours or more per week, for more than half of your entire study period. If “YES,” you are not eligible for StudentAid BC funding.

Answer “NO” to this question if you have:

  • a job for less than 32 hours per week during your study period,
  • or
  • a full-time job for 32 hours for less than half of your entire study period.

Q32. Will you have been out of high school for more than 48 months (4 years) when classes start?

Did you complete your Grade 12 equivalency after leaving high school? If you did, calculate the number of months by using the date you originally left high school, not the date of your equivalency.

Q33. Marital Status

Marital Status is defined below. Please read the definitions carefully.

  • Single: If you are not married and have no dependent child(ren).
  • Single Parent: If you have custody of your child(ren), or your child(ren) live with you at least two days per week during your entire study period.
  • Married: If you are married as of the first day of classes.
  • Common-law: You and your partner are considered to be common-law if you meet both of the following:
    • you are currently living together in a marriage-like relationship; and
    • you will have been living together for at least 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes.
  • Separated/Divorced/Widowed: If you are separated, divorced or widowed before the first day of classes and have dependent children, select “Single Parent”.

Q34. In the time since you left high school to your first day of classes, have you spent two periods of 12 continuous months each, in the full-time labour force as defined within the “help?”

Full-time labour force means working a minimum of 32 hours each week. Time spent in the full-time labour force may include periods of unemployment. You may be asked to provide documents that show you received Employment Insurance (EI) benefits or documents that show you were looking for work. This can include letters of rejection, confirmation of interviews, etc.

Q35. Are you or were you, at the time of your 19th birthday, a youth in continuing care or custody of a director of child welfare in B.C. (ward of the court – this means the provincial government is/was your legal guardian)?

For a variety of reasons, the B.C. government may become the legal guardian for a child. If you are or were a youth in continuing care/custody of a director of child welfare in B.C. on your 19th birthday, answer “YES” to this question.

If you were a youth in continuing care or custody of a director of child welfare on your 19th birthday from a province other than B.C., answer “NO” to this question and submit a paper application along with an Appeal Request Form with appropriate documentation to apply for Modified Group B (independent) status.

If you indicated “Yes” to this question, the Ministry of Children and Family Development may be asked to verify your status as a former youth in continuing care or custody of a director of child welfare in B.C.

If you indicate “Yes” to this question and are between the ages of 19 and 24, you may qualify for up to $5,500 of non-repayable grant assistance through the Youth Education Assistance Fund.

Q36. My parents are deceased and I do not have a legal guardian. If both conditions apply, read the “help.”

If both your parents are deceased, and you do not have a legal guardian enter “YES."

Q37. Are you (or your parent(s) / step-parent / sponsor / legal guardian) a resident of BC as defined within the “help?"

As a ‘Group B’ (independent) student you are a resident of B.C. if:

  • you have lived in B.C. all your life; or
  • B.C. is the province where you last lived for 12 continuous months, as of your study start date, not including months of full-time post-secondary study; or
  • you arrived in B.C. as a permanent resident or protected person, and will attend school in B.C., and you have not lived in any other province for 12 continuous months.

As a ‘Group A’ (dependent) student, you are a resident of the province in which your parent(s), step-parent, sponsor or legal guardian have most recently lived for 12 continuous months as of your first day of classes. If they do not live in B.C., you must apply for financial assistance from the province or territory in which they lived for 12 consecutive months as of your first day of classes. If you are a permanent resident under sponsorship, your sponsor must complete Appendix 1. Residency is based on where your sponsor lives.

If you are not a B.C. resident as defined above, you are not eligible for financial assistance through StudentAid BC. You must apply for assistance through your home province or territory. You may only apply for funding from one province or territory.

Q38. What is your citizenship status?

If you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person, you are not eligible for StudentAid BC funding. You are a permanent resident if you have a permanent resident card or a valid Confirmation of Permanent Resident document (IMM 1000 or IMM 5292). You are not eligible for StudentAid BC funding if you are in Canada on a student visa or ministerial permit.

Q39. Have you ever cashed a Canada student loan? (If FULLY repaid, select NO).

You may have received a Canada Student Loan from B.C. or another province.

  • If you have previously received and cashed a Canada Student Loan, enter ‘YES.’
  • If you have never received and cashed a Canada Student Loan, enter ‘NO.’
  • If you are unsure if you have cashed a Canada Student Loan, contact the National Student Loans Service Centre or your bank/credit union.
    • Toll-free: 1-888-815-4514 (within North America)
    • Toll-free outside North America: international access code and 800-2-225-2501
    • Outside North America without international access code: Call Canadian operator at 800-0800-096-0634, then call collect 905-306-2950

Q40. Date you graduated from or left secondary (high) school. (YYYY-MM)

Enter the date you graduated from or left secondary (high) school (whichever is later).

  • This is the date you graduated from secondary (high) school.
  • If you left secondary (high) school and later earned your secondary school credential, enter the date you received your credential (high school equivalency).
  • If you never attended secondary (high) school, enter the date you left the last elementary school you attended.

Q41. How many months of full-time post-secondary studies have you taken to date in BC, Canada, and outside of Canada? Include co-op work terms. To convert part-time studies, read the “help.” Enter “0” if none.

Include all previous full-time post-secondary studies of at least three months (12 weeks) in length. This includes courses and activities taken at public or private universities, colleges or training schools in any country. This includes British Columbia or any other province/territory in Canada and in any country outside Canada. You must count all time spent in activities for credit (e.g., attending classes, distance education, etc.) at a public or private institution. Include co-op work terms.

Do not include college preparatory (high school level) courses or apprenticeship training. Do not include the study period for which you are now applying. If you have more than 99 months of previous post-secondary studies, put ‘99’ in the box.

Some schools use units instead of credits. Check with your school to be sure of the correct calculation. Include all previous post-secondary months up to the start date of this application, including non-funded post-secondary months.

Previous Part-time Post-Secondary Studies
If you have completed post-secondary courses on a part-time basis, you will need to convert your part-time studies, to full-time studies. For example, for many academic programs, 15 credits (usually five courses) equals one semester of full-time study. For trades and vocational programs, 129 contact (instructional) hours usually equals one month of full-time study.

Prior Learning Assessment/Course Challenge
If you received credit for a prior learning assessment or course challenge, you must include this in your calculation of previous post-secondary studies. For example, if you received credit for two semesters towards your degree or diploma, enter eight months previous post-secondary study in this question.

Contact Us
Toll-free Canada/US
Outside North America
+ 1-250-387-6100