Youth educational assistance fund for former youth in care

This program provides grants of $5,500 per program year to former B.C. youth in care students between 19 and 24 years of age. Students may receive a maximum of four grants.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for this grant you must meet ONE of the following legal criteria:

You must be a former B.C. youth in continuing custody:

  • Who was:
    1. In the continuing custody of a director designated under Section 91 of the Child, Family and Community Service Act (CFCSA) pursuant to that act; or
    2. Under the guardianship of a director pursuant to section 51(1)(a) of the Infants Act; or;
    3. Under the guardianship of a director of adoption pursuant to the Adoption Act;

until you turned 19 years of age or for at least five years immediately prior to your adoption or permanent transfer of custody to a person other than a parent under s.54.1 of the CFCSA.

If you don’t know if you meet the above legal criteria, please contact your former social worker, any Ministry of Children and Family Development office or any delegated Aboriginal agency for help.

In addition to the above criteria, you must ALSO be:

  • A full-time student, or a student with a permanent disability, or a persistent or prolonged disability studying at a 40 percent course load.
  • Registered to take post-secondary-level courses from a designated post-secondary institution in an eligible program leading to a certificate, diploma or degree that is at least 12 weeks long.
  • Between 19 and 24 years old.

How do I apply?

  • Complete the application form and attach a letter from any Ministry of Children and Family Development office or delegated Aboriginal agency stating you are a former youth-in-care.
  • If you are not applying for financial assistance through StudentAid BC, a financial aid officer at your school must also complete a confirmation of enrolment form.
  • If you are denied funding and want to appeal, please complete an appeal form and submit it along with the documentation listed on the form to StudentAid BC.

Download Form

For more information contact us or the Ministry of Children and Family Development office.